On March 3 th 2017, the Association of Friends of the Portuguese Armed Forces – AFA, Id. 514 222 220, was instituted at the Notary Office of Vila Nova de Gaia – Arrábida – Maria Clara Cardoso Figueiredo da Cruz. It is representative of the citizens and collective individuals, either private and public that shows appreciation, and esteem on the Armed Forces.
The following members were elected for a three years term:
General Assembly President : James Richard de Sá-Carneiro e Sequeira Lobo – Curriculum Vitae
President – Artur Victoria – Curriculum Vitae
Executive President – Prof. Doutora Maria Antonieta Antunes Dias – Curriculum Vitae
Director – Coronel David Manuel de Matos Martelo – Curriculum Vitae
President – José Miguel Broadley Chaves Victoria Candeias – Curriculum Vitae
Who we are
An institution in the form of an association, not for profit, of indefinite duration, with its own legal personality, subject to Portuguese legislation. AFA is a non profit organization, ideology or political beliefs independent, respecting religious races and cultural beliefs. AFA not linked to any public or private institution or government. AFA adopts the principles of the United Nations Charter and the Universal Declaration of Human rights.
To encourage initiatives that benefit the cultural and scientific knowledge of the society where we are inserted. We commit ourselves to create value for our associates, partners and community where we are inserted, as well as the associative sustainability.
– To implement an individual or collective conviction, about the importance of National Defense for a nation and the development of an “Ethics and Citizenship for Defense and Sovereignty”;
– To provide knowledge to the Civil Society about the Military Institution, its organization and purposes;
– To carry out exchange actions through “Partnerships” within the scope of Ethics, citizenship, security and defence;
– To produce publications and opinion articles in civil and military matters
* Transparency – as a means of ensuring mutual trust;
* Promotion of a culture of responsibility and accountability;
* Subsidiarity – not intervening in areas beyond our competence;
* Collaboration and participation – among those who share the same values;
* Diversity and Mutual Respect – Promotes inclusiveness and integration on an equal basis;
* Promotes a culture of sharing and solidarity based on equality and equity.